Greetings and salutations!
Currently based in New Orleans, i specialize in custom WordPress-powered sites, progressive web apps, and consulting businesses on what technology to use.
I’ve worked in tech for the last 17 years — a decade as a computer and printer technician in New York; switching to a career as a full-time developer and tech consultant after moving to New Orleans.
- The most potential to make/maintain a financial living
- Most in-demand
- And is the most interesting or “fun” (to me).
Here’s a semi-exhaustive list of what tech i use.
In no particular order or with any particular weight, below are the things that have recently piqued my interest:
- Becoming a developer advocate. An AWS or WordPress one.
- Google’s Firebase coupled with Ionic (thanks to Jorge Vergara, his books and being gung-ho about Firebase).
- AWS Certified Solutions Architect training/studying, including a myriad of their offerings, which i’ve written about on my blog. Recently purchased Udemy courses for four of the AWS Cloud certs.
- Static site generators like Hugo.
- Headless CMSes.
- CSS frameworks like Bulma, with which i redesigned this site.
- Vue.js for PWAs and SPAs.
- Serverless Framework.
- WordPress REST API.
- De-coupled WordPress.
- Decentralized web project, Solid, from inventor Tim Berners-Lee of World Wide Web fame.
- WordPress + PWA
- Twilio SMS and Voice apps
Subscribe to the blog via the box at the bottom to see what’s brewing in my brain.
I was the subject of a TV project
Several years ago Nomadness, of which i’m a board member, pitched a reality series showcasing an individual with the wanderlust bug — and i was the pilot’s chosen subject. Check it out underneath.
Insider info: nope, this actually wasn’t my first trip out the country; but we needed someone with the chops to sell being a newbie traveler. ^_^
I published a book
I published a book of poetry titled d|u|s|t. You can purchase the ebook version here. August 26, 2019 is the scheduled release for the print edition, signed and personalized.
Writing books on WordPress and Web Development
I’m working on several books, two on WordPress, and another on web development, specifically helping people become junior web developers.
With the WP books, the reader will have access to code snippets, a forum, and some other goodies. A specific topic i will address is using WordPress as the backend for a mobile app, specifically creating a Progressive Web App with de-coupled WordPress and React (or GatsbyJS).
Planned release for the books is the fourth quarter of 2019.