Greetings and salutations!
Currently based in New Orleans, i specialize in custom WordPress-powered sites, progressive web apps, and consulting businesses on what technology to use.
I’ve worked in tech for the last 17 years — a decade as a computer and printer technician in New York; switching to a career as a full-time developer and tech consultant after moving to New Orleans. I’m also a business owner: Fifth Pocket Labs and Fire & Wheel.
- The most potential to make/maintain a financial living
- Most in-demand
- And is the most interesting or “fun” (to me).
In no particular order or with any particular weight, below are the things that have recently piqued my interest:
- Becoming a developer advocate. An AWS or WordPress one.
- Google’s Firebase coupled with Ionic (thanks to Jorge Vergara, his books and being gung-ho about Firebase).
- AWS Certified Solutions Architect training/studying, including a myriad of their offerings, which i’ve written about on my blog. Recently purchased Udemy courses for four of the AWS Cloud certs.
- Static site generators like Hugo.
- Headless CMSes.
- CSS frameworks like Bulma, with which i redesigned this site.
- Vue.js for PWAs and SPAs.
- Serverless Framework.
- WordPress REST API.
- De-coupled WordPress.
- Decentralized web project, Solid, from inventor Tim Berners-Lee of World Wide Web fame.
- WordPress + PWA
Subscribe to the blog via the box at the bottom to see what’s brewing in my brain.
I was the subject of a TV project
Several years ago Nomadness, of which i’m a board member, pitched a reality series showcasing an individual with the wanderlust bug — and i was the pilot’s chosen subject. Check it out underneath.
Insider info: nope, this actually wasn’t my first trip out the country; but we needed someone with the chops to sell being a newbie traveler. ^_^
I published a book
I published a memoir as a book of poetry titled d/u/s/t. You can purchase the ebook version here. In August of 2019 the physical, signed copies will be published.
Writing a couple books on WordPress
I’m working on two books about WordPress.
One is on WordPress “recipes”. Essentially ways to accomplish intermediate to advanced things using WordPress. It’s my entry into the world of tech “cookbooks”. It’ll live on WPress.recipes, where the reader will have access to code snippets, a forum, and some other goodies i’ve yet to flesh out.
The second book is using WordPress as the backend for a mobile app, specifically creating a Progressive Web App with de-coupled WordPress. It remains untitled and without a domain name. I’ll handle those two soon enough.
Planned release for the former is August 2019. The latter is October/November 2019.